Monday, January 13, 2014

Beet Greens and Gorgonzola Spaghetti

I would say this dish is part of my Polish-Italian fusion repertoire. Beets, much like cabbage, are an important Eastern European food and goodness are they good for you! For many years, I've been enjoying them on my salads, but as one of my New Year's challenges is to learn how to prepare and use at least 5 new ingredients in my dishes, figured the lovely betaine rich beet would be a great place to start.

There are jars of beets pickling on my canning shelf right now, but that's not the only thing you can do with beets.

I was intrigued to learn that not only the roots of beets are edible. The tops are too. They're interesting. I was expecting a bitter flavor, like radish tops, but they have a unexpected natural saltiness that really intrigues me.


This recipe is quick and simple; easy enough to whip up on a busy weeknight.

Beet Greens and Gorgonzola Spaghetti

[What you need]
Spaghetti (or pasta of your choice)
Beet Greens chopped from one bunch of beets
Gorgonzola cheese
Tomato sauce
A spoonful of Italian breadcrumbs
Olive Oil

[What to do]
  1. Put on water and start spaghetti
  2. In the meantime, rinse the beet greens and saute them briefly in olive oil
  3. When the spaghetti is ready, stir in the cheese and greens
  4. Top with a small amount of tomato sauce and bread crumbs to serve


No comments:

Post a Comment