Thursday, February 6, 2014

Ricotta Pie -or- Salvaging a Cassata fail

[I know, I've been so bad about posting lately. It's no excuse, but it's been a busy month and I haven't gotten much decent cooking done. I'll hopefully be better in the coming year.]

My plan was to use up extra ricotta from the lasagna to make cassata. As you can see, that did not work out for several reasons.


The other layer and filling were already done though! What's a girl to do, stuck with all this filling and only one layer of sponge cake?


The resourceful girl "invents" Ricotta Pie.

Ricotta Pie
by Amy (inspired by Bisnonna's Cassata recipe, which, hopefully, I'll eventually make correctly)

[What you need]
1 sponge cake (I used this recipe pretty much exactly, my madre's trick; however, is to buy one. If I had done that, I might actually have a Cassata to show you, so...tread carefully.)
1 lb ricotta
1 cup powdered sugar
1 cup mini chocolate chips
1/2 cup chopped almonds and/or pistachios
1/2 tsp cinnamon

[What to do]
1. Bake or acquire sponge cake. Carefully (look at my disaster above to see not carefully) place in a pie dish.
2. Mix the rest of the ingredients together, spread carefully over the cake in a pie like fashion and everything will work out in the end.


No comments:

Post a Comment