Monday, March 10, 2014

Sicilian Stuffed Artichokes

When we came across some artichokes at the market, I was suddenly struck with a memory.


I said, "I'm going to make something really good, I just...have to remember how to make it."

And I tried. I checked the cookbook and was shocked by the lack of recipe (I'm still tagging this with "The Cookbook" because as far as I'm concerned it should be in there). I scoured the internet. I called my madre. All were a little stumped on one detail or another. But eventually we worked out something that I think was just right or close enough. It brought back a slew of memories and was just as divine as I had hoped.


Sicilian Stuffed Artichokes
inspired by a memory of something Bisnonna used to make

[What You Need]
Artichokes
Italian Breadcrumbs
Ground red pepper flakes
Parsley
Oregano
Grated Parmesan cheese
Mozzarella cheese
Tomato sauce
1 egg

[What To Do]
  1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a baking dish.
  2. Steam artichokes briefly using your preferred method. (I cheat and use the microwave method which involves placing the artichokes in a shallow dish of water in the microwave for about five minutes). The artichokes should be tender enough to pull the leaves apart gently.
  3. Mix stuffing: breadcrumbs, spices, parmesan cheese, and egg
  4. Taking a deep breath and guarding against burning your hands, slowly pry the leaves apart and put stuffing inside. This step has me convinced that Bisnonna could not feel pain from heat (the story of the cannoli molds and no means of removing the shells from them after frying will be related at a later date). Place artichokes in baking dish as you do this.
  5. Cover artichokes in tomato sauce to taste. In my memories, Bisnonna flooded them with sauce and sopped it up using bread. I didn't use quite that much and some of my outer leaves were a little dry, so take that as you will.
  6. Sprinkle some mozzarella on top.
  7. Bake for about 45 minutes to an hour.



No comments:

Post a Comment