Thursday, April 24, 2014

Rhubarb Glaze (great for chicken or fish)

[Apologies for the delay, all. I've been working very hard to get the next book in the Season of the Witch series ready to go to my editor.]

I consider this recipe a very significant achievement. My boyfriend is far from a foodie. He's just not the type of person who gets really excited about food. High prize from him is "it was good." That's why I was so impressed by this concoction, because my boyfriend could not stop effusing about how good it was. Since making it, whenever I mention rhubarb, he immediately says "I could go for that fish thing again." I feel I have done my job well.

However, it might be controversial among my family members as it includes an ingredient that I love, but no one else seems to like. Feel free to leave it out if it's not your taste. You'll know which one it is.


Plus it's rhubarb. One of the first foods of the spring season. My dishes are starting to look colorful and inspired again.

Rhubarb Glaze
inspired by Epicurious.com

[What You Need] -(for a recipe to serve two with some leftovers)
Olive Oil
1/2 red onion
4-5 stalks of rhubarb 
1 T lemon juice
1/4 cup butter
3/4 cup sugar
4 T anise seeds
4 cups broth of choice (depending on what you're serving it with. I used mostly water and a T of chicken base)

[What To Do]

  1. Heat Olive Oil. Add chopped onion and sautee until tender. Then add chopped rhubarb. 
  2. Melt butter in saucepan. Add sugar and anise seeds. Heat until the sugar dissolves.
  3. Add contents of saucepan and broth to rhubarb, always to simmer for ~1 hour until mixture has reduced by about 1/2
  4. Serve over meat of choice. In our case we used white fish.
It may not look pretty, but is sure does taste good.




No comments:

Post a Comment