Monday, November 3, 2014

Year One in the Garden

I've got a retrospective of my first year gardening over on Medium. Those of you who were interested into my foray should head over and check it out:

My father bit into the first strawberry of the season. He hadn’t even taken it inside to wash; just popped it into his mouth like ballpark peanuts. Seconds later, his face had gone just as red as the not-yet-picked berries on the plant. Before I could run for help, he sucked in a breath and gulped down the air, reaching for another one.
“Damn! Those suckers have a kick to ‘em.”
And that was the year we accidentally cross pollinated habanero peppers and strawberries.
I come from a long line of plant people: fresh tomato snobs and home salsa canners, foodies before foodie was really a word, dating all the way back to the village cheese monger. I have learned a lot of lessons from the garden
But this was my first year on my own.

Later this week: Pumpkin Dessert, so stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment